Thoughts about men I never want to vote for.

Posted by Unknown , Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:39 PM

This is in response to a post on a forum I frequent. Many people are calling a McCain/Huckabee ticket as the most perfect thing the Republicans can do right now. I strongly disagree, and most of the following is in that vein. However, as the title suggests, I don't plan to vote for the Republican nominee at this time, and can't really see a reason in the near future that I would want to do so. At any rate, here are my $0.02.

_____________

I was thinking about the possibility of the McCain/Huckabee ticket, and began wondering if it's really a possibility. Huckabee is a social conservative - not really a Republican. He spends like a Democrat, supports social programs like a Democrat, and has a nagging ability to raise taxes like a Democrat. He just believes in a 6,000 year-old Earth, is pro-life, and carries a gun. That doesn't make him a true Republican.

The people who voted for McCain were appalled at Huckabee. The votes for Huckabee were split between Romney and Huck, not Huck and McCain. I see what everyone is saying about McCain/Huckabee being a fantastic ticket, but I think comments that Huckabee's made, like making the Constitution match the Bible, make real Republicans cringe. Even social conservatives balked when he said that.

That said, while people have amazingly short memories, I have to say that they will probably still remember the power that the current administration's VP has had in the White House. I had a conversation with a politically savvy friend, and he went so far as to say that Bush was a pretty face, and that Cheney would have been the presidential nominee if it wasn't for his time bomb of a heart. While McCain is seen as more intelligent than Bush, I think it would be unwise to say Huckabee would be an idle player in the White House. Don't forget - McCain is an older man, and Huck would be next in line. I don't think people will easily forget that, either (not that I'm under any belief that McCain's not in good health).

So, while many will champion the McCain/Huck ticket, I think it might quite seriously be the downfall of the campaign. Huckabee is an evangelical. Combine that with both of their former attitudes toward illegal immigrants, and many people will dismiss their campaign without further thought.

On the other hand, Obama appeals to many Republicans because they see him as relatively non-partisan. While I think that the Democratic race is far from over, I think that if Obama were to take the nomination, there would be more crossover from the right to the left than there would be from the left to the right.

Like someone else has said on the forum, if this is going to turn into an Obama/McCain race, it will force people to really think about who they are voting for. I think this election, more than some that have come in the past, will be a "thinking" race more than a "feeling" race - which is very very exciting.
_____________

If you haven't guessed already, I've been following the presidential race religiously. In fact, I have a little NPR worship service every day in my car/church. Since I'm constantly on my computer as well (though not while in the car), I wait for the RSS updates and breaking news to pour into my reader and inbox respectively like I was waiting for the Second Coming. All blasphemy aside, I am very much a part of this political process and cannot wait to see how the country votes in the election.

A non-partisan note: Whoever you plan to support or not support, I implore you, Dear Reader, to vote. Show your solidarity and make a stand for what you think is right. Make your voice heard. As one of my teachers used to say, it's only then will you have any right to brag or complain. I intend to reserve that right, and so should you.

1 Response to "Thoughts about men I never want to vote for."

Monda Says:

You know, if the turnout for the primaries and caucuses is any indication, there won't be enough Republican votes to even make it interesting come election time.

Look at the numbers - 2 to 1 Democrat is almost every state.

Post a Comment